Friday, May 25, 2007

Pre-departure from Allison

Hello All, it’s Allison. I am a Marist Master of Public Administration student, taking advantage of the wonderful opportunity to study in South Africa with a group of undergraduate students and Professor Eddie Summers. As promised here is a recap of my day. Yesterday’s ride to the airport was relaxing and it felt comforting to be away from the grueling New York State hustle and bustle. Based off of our class sessions this semester this group seem pretty interesting and excited about South Africa. I look forward to experiencing the culture, hearing the native language as well as seeing the beautiful landscapes of Africa with them. After checking in with Eddie Summers, I was relieved and excited that this journey was about to begin. After everyone’s arrival at the airport all the moms snapped quick group photos, however, the undergraduate students were kind of embarrassed but I enjoyed it. The most exciting moment was when Meghan’s mom waved to the group until she exited the airport. Meghan was a little embarrassed but I thought to myself I would be a similar type of mom if any of my children were heading off on a two and a half week long excursion. Anyhow America, we are off to South Africa. Gate B27 here come the Marist Red Foxes.

5 comments:

Janet Morgan Fowler said...

Allison, I am so VERY PROUD of you...Wow!!! What an awesome experience and an abundant blessing to engage in as a graduate student! It is such a pleasure to read your blog and I pray for your success in all of your studies, termpapers and projects while studying abroad. As you know, I recently returned from a business trip to Kenya and I had a phenomenal experience as I am sure you are doing the same in South Africa. I can hardly wait until your return so that we can compare notes about the "Motherland". May the Lord continue to bless you and your colleagues and may He keep you safe and healthy during your stay. Hakuna Matata! (No Worries - Swahili)

Love Always, Janet Morgan Fowler Go PHS! :-)

Stephanie L said...

ALL-IS-ON!!!

Gurl, I am so excited for you. The blogs are interesting. Looking forward to hearing more of your perspective. We miss you. You better be writing in your journal so that you don't forget anything. I have to admit I am envious. This is an experience most of US don't get to have. However, you know me, come heck or high waters, I'll find a way to get there.

I can't wait until you get home so we can see the pictures and hear first hand your account of what its like in the "Motherland".

Love you - (HI JANET-Gurl - :))

Steph - PoTown in the hizzhouse - "Green take a drink!!!"

TheAmericanDream said...

Hey ladies. I am enjoying my experience here in the motherland as I learn about the government, culture and the people. It is truly an awesome experience and much more enriching than I had imagined. I am taking lots of photos to share with everyone when I return. Our days are filled with excitement and adventure. The community service gives me the opportunity to utilize my expertise to help local youth. I am working with Heal the Hood, a youth organization, that offers programs to foster entrepreneurship, self pride, and promotes community safety. Luv U Both! Totsiens.

Erlissa Faircloth Browne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erlissa Faircloth Browne said...

Hi Allison,

Wow, South Africa!! As with Janet,I am very proud you as well. I am excited that you have embrassed such an opportunity. I am looking forward to seeing South Africa through your eyes. So, please keep us up to date.

If you are able to send pictures, please do so to: erlisab@msn.com

Be safe on your travels and I'll keep you in my prayers.

Love, Erlissa Faircloth Browne